If you have a deck, chances are it gets plenty of use during the summer months. Whether you’re enjoying an al fresco brunch on a warm day, reading a good book while relaxing in the sunshine, or drinking a cuppa tea as you watch the little ones play in the garden, your deck is nothing short of dynamic. This is why we believe that not only should your deck be protected from the many activities it endures, it should look as beautiful as possible so that you can fully enjoy it.
Below, you’ll find some of our ideas for a gorgeous deck.
1. Don’t be afraid to play with colour: Who says decks need to be natural in colour? Your timber deck, like essentially any other surface in your home, can be a place where you experiment with colour. Take for example Crown Style Guide Saara McLoughlin, who used a bright fuchsia for her outdoor wooden decking. I think we can all agree that this is anything but your ordinary deck! Saara used Sadolin Beautiflex in the colour RAL 4008, available from our Colourmix service. Our Beautiflex range is specially designed as a superior flexibility coating for long term protection (up to 7 years) with excellent light fastness. We are in love with this fabulous look!
2. Take comfort and functionality into consideration: To maximise your deck area, be sure to make it a space that is both useful and comfortable. What will you want to be doing on your deck? For example, If you want to have plenty of outdoor meals, invest in a table and chairs that you’ll want to spend time sitting in. If you want to soak up the sun on hot afternoons, think of the type of outdoor furniture you’d like best for that, whether it be a lounger, a chair with ottoman, etc. Basically, make your deck work for your unique needs, otherwise you won’t get the most out of it and it won’t be used as much as it should be. We recommend sprucing up your outdoor furniture with patterned cushions or throw pillows. These accessories are simple ways to show a bit of personality.
3. Add interest with an outdoor rug: An outdoor rug can bring pizazz to your deck, especially when it comes in a fun pattern or colourful print. Crown Style Guide Saara has used a bold outdoor rug to enhance the look of her deck, while providing an additional layer of comfort. We love the contrast of this black and white rug with the rich fuchsia deck and the pretty pink shed. This look couldn’t be more fun!
4. Fill your deck with plants and flowers to create a lush sanctuary: Is there any place where plants don’t look great? We certainly don’t think so, and we especially love the look of potted plants placed around the deck. Once again, Crown Style Guide Saara has given us all major deck envy with her assortment of deck plants. We love how she’s used colourful plant pots to inject the space with extra brightness. If your deck happens to be more exposed and you’re looking for some privacy, you can use potted trees to create a beautiful green “fence”.
5. Perfect your lighting: We know you’ll love your beautiful deck so much that you’ll want to use it both during the day and at night. When the sun goes down, the fun doesn’t have to stop, especially when you can illuminate the darkness with outdoor lighting. We are huge fans of string lights across the deck area for a magical look. If string lights aren’t your style, there are plenty of excellent outdoor lighting solutions that will give your exteriors the perfect glow.
Who’s ready to beautify their deck? We know what we’ll be doing this weekend! Make the most out of the summer weather with a gorgeous deck that you can enjoy any time of the day. For everything you need for your interior and exterior wood, call into your local Sadolin stockist or visit us on the web.